Vegas Rolls Out the Red Carpet for CES: Check Out Our Party Guide
If it’s January in Las Vegas, it must be that time of year when the city’s thoughts turn to hot and steamy new electronic wizardry, and also porn, though not at the same time. The Consumer Electronics Show, the largest trade show of its kind, rolls into town Jan. 6–9, and is expected to draw even more than last year’s 160,000 attendees.
This is the show—now in its 48th year—that debuted products like the VCR, CD player, Blu-ray disc, high-definition TVs, and many of the indispensable gadgets that rule our lives. And until recently, it coincided with Vegas’s other big January confab, the Adult Video News Awards Show–the so-called “Oscars of porn”–adding a little extra sex appeal for techies in town to check out the robots and computerized cookware. AVN shifted to a different weekend in 2012 (bummer!); it’s set to begin Jan. 24. But there are still plenty of ways for CES attendees to put the ‘Sin’ in ‘Sin City.’ Here’s a roundup of the week’s parties. Or if after a day of pressing the flesh you’re looking to have some flesh pressed against you, check out our CES Strip Club Guide here!
The show is sponsoring a number of official convention parties. Industry parties are for CES attendees only, and you’ll need to bring your badge or event pass. Here are the ones you need to know about.
- CES Opening Night Party, Marquee, Cosmopolitan, Jan. 5, 10 p.m.–2 a.m.: Get your convention started right with this kickoff party at the Cosmopolitan. Admission is free and there’s an open bar from 10–11 p.m.
- Shelly Palmer CES Wrap Up Party, C-Space, Aria, Jan. 6 & 7, 5:30–7 p.m.: Join advertising mogul Shelly Palmer for recaps of these days’ CES events at parties sponsored by Better Homes and Gardens. Parties include hors d’oeuvres and cocktails. Pre-registration required for either night.
- C-Space Opening Reception Sponsored by The Onion, C-Space, Aria, Jan. 6, 4–7 p.m.: Mix and mingle over cocktails and appetizers after the first night of CES.
- Jupiter Ascending Party – Presented by D3 Reaction, Gold Lounge, Aria, Jan. 7, 7–10 p.m.: Get your drink on at the open bar at this party hosted by media company D3 Reaction, in conjunction with the upcoming film Jupiter Ascending.
- Bluetooth Celebration Event, Lavo, Palazzo, Jan. 7, 7–10 p.m.: Advance registration is required for this Bluetooth-sponsored party at Lavo. Admittance is first come, first served.
- Walls360 Open House @ CES, 5054 Bond St., Jan. 8, 5 p.m.–midnight: Head out to this graphic-arts studio in southwest Vegas for an evening of merry-making with local artists, food trucks, and plenty of Las Vegas startups.
- MashBash @ CES, Brooklyn Bowl at The Linq, Jan. 8, 9 p.m.–midnight: Sponsored by Mashable, this event features bowling and food from in-house restaurant Blue Ribbon. Tickets are $35.
Clubs around the city will be running at full tilt, with some hosting star DJs for CES-themed nights. Here’s who’s spinning.
• Diplo, Surrender, Encore, Tuesday Jan. 6 – BUY TICKETS
• Tiesto, Hakkasan, MGM Grand, Tuesday Jan. 6 – BUY TICKETS
• Lil Jon, Surrender, Encore, Wednesday Jan. 7 – BUY TICKETS
• Wyclef Jean and DJ Five, Tao, Venetian, Thursday Jan. 8 – BUY TICKETS
• DJ Shift, Drai’s Nightclub, The Cromwell, Thursday Jan. 8 – BUY TICKETS
• Steve Aoki, Hakkasan, MGM Grand, Thursday Jan. 8 – BUY TICKETS
• Will.I.Am, Light, Mandalay Bay, Thursday Jan. 8 – BUY TICKETS
*If you are interested in purchasing VIP Bottle Service, please contact us at [email protected].
*Header image courtesy of Powers Imagery LLC